About Me

My photo
I am a 30-something FORMER DINK (Double Income, No Kids) who welcomed our first child on August 1st, 2011 following many years of infertility. I am married to a wonderful (though somewhat work-a-holic) husband and daddy. This is my journal to help me stay sane through the trials of infertility, pregnancy and motherhood. We have unexplained infertility. After enduring IVF #1 failure, we miraculously became pregnant from FET #1, and we were overjoyed to welcome our little one August 1st of 2011.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

34/35 Weeks

I’m starting to get really excited about this baby actually coming. I am 34.5 weeks, and although I definitely do not want him to come anytime soon, I do feel like there is some excitement now that I can start to look for signs of impending labor. Of course, so far I’ve had none.

As far as my symptoms, I’m feeling pretty good. I continue to struggle with constipation and heartburn (although the heartburn has been curbed by Prilosec OTC, for which I am so grateful). I am starting to notice some swelling in my ankles, but it’s still pretty minor. I get so overly full after every meal, particularly if I eat too much or too late. I will be glad when the baby drops, because I’ve heard that one of the noticeable changes you’ll have when the baby drops is less bloating after eating. I also now have to pee at least twice in the middle of the night. This really isn’t a big deal (and pales in comparison to a middle of the night feeding and diapering session), but getting up always makes my cat think that it’s time to eat, so then I have to either listen to him cry for an hour or shut him out of our room so he can’t bother us, and the whole ordeal is annoying. The cat has also found that our pack and play with the changer installed makes an awesome hiding place. I am NOT a cat person, and really have no interest in this cat, so if he knows what’s good for him, he will quit with the shenanigans and stay away from the baby’s things. He could end up living in the barn if he keeps it up.

We are meeting with our doula again tonight to go over our birth plan. I’m excited to talk with her again and start to do some planning for the birth. Having this meeting makes me realize that things really are starting to get close. I feel like the weeks do go by more quickly ever since our third trimester began. I’m not usually one who enjoys lots of attention, but I have to say the bigger my belly gets, the more people who stop me and talk to me or try to help me or just give me knowing smiles and understanding faces. I think it’s all very special. Don't get me wrong, I will be very happy to shed this basketball from my frame, but I really think the third trimester gets a bad rap. I’ve enjoyed it so much. It’s like people finally recognize that you are carrying this special package inside you, and they roll out the red carpet. It’s fun.

I don’t believe that I’ve experienced any noticeable Braxton Hicks contractions except maybe for today. I can’t even be sure about today’s experience but it did feel slightly different from any other contraction-type feeling I’ve had. For a long time I thought I was having BH contractions that lasted just a couple of seconds, but now that the baby is bigger, I really think that feeling is him stretching across my uterus. I get a butt up in my upper left uterus area and a hand or something in my lower right area. It’s uncomfortable, but I really do think it’s movement, not a contraction. Today, however, I did have a feeling that was a bit uncomfortable and reminded me of a ligament being pulled or something and it went on for probably a minute. I’ve been wishing for another feeling like this all day to see if I can better diagnose it, but I haven’t had one yet.

In baby prep news, our beautiful nursery furniture is delayed and isn’t likely to arrive until July 18th (and even then, who knows). This timing should be just fine. I don’t expect to go into labor early, but it really annoys me that something like nursery furniture can take 13+ weeks. Most of us just don’t have that much time. I ordered this furniture at 24 weeks, and I didn’t feel that comfortable ordering prior to that. Luckily, they had the crib in stock, so we do already have that, which would get us through if baby did come early. I just want to put everything away and organize all his things BEFORE he arrives.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you are excited and enjoying the third trimester. Our stroller took 9 weeks to arrive and I was getting nervous about that.

    Just over one month to go now. Time to start counting down the days :)

    ReplyDelete