About Me

My photo
I am a 30-something FORMER DINK (Double Income, No Kids) who welcomed our first child on August 1st, 2011 following many years of infertility. I am married to a wonderful (though somewhat work-a-holic) husband and daddy. This is my journal to help me stay sane through the trials of infertility, pregnancy and motherhood. We have unexplained infertility. After enduring IVF #1 failure, we miraculously became pregnant from FET #1, and we were overjoyed to welcome our little one August 1st of 2011.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

18 Weeks 3 Days

Finally, I can welcome myself to the part of the second trimester where I feel really great! I have not had any queasiness, I am sleeping well, and I generally feel really good. I am having some minor complaints with regard to (ahem) constipation as well as brutally sore feet by the end of the day, but all in all, I feel like myself again. The best news is, I can actually stomach food that is good for me. I’ve been eating spinach salads, fruit, fish (in moderation), and other good foods not in the pizza food group.

I have also joined the gym in my building, something I should have done ages ago. There is no contract or initiation fee, so I just pay for the months I want. This is perfect, since I’m just not sure what each month of this pregnancy will bring in terms of ability to exercise. So far, I have only done walking and some light weights. I may never do more than that, but I think any kind of movement is good for me. Once May 15th rolls around it will be warm enough to use our pool at home and I can relax and exercise in the water (in complete privacy, yay, major plus) until the baby is due.

After all my complaining about my job, I have had a major revelation in the last two weeks. Yes, I hate what I’m doing (I don’t actually dread going to work, but I’m ashamed of the work I have been reduced to), but I’ve come to realize that I’m in this job because it’s where I’m supposed to be during and immediately after my pregnancy. I get the wonderful benefit of being able to dress in fairly comfortable attire (jeans on Fridays, dress slacks and a simple top every other day). I sit most of the day, so my weekend frustrations with horribly achy feet are generally eased. I also don’t have to be held to stressful deadlines or attend meetings or otherwise be “on”. I can sit back and handle things at a pace that works well for me.

The best part is…no one said I have to do this forever. I can get a job as a teacher once the baby is born (I am certified to teach any subject 4-8th grade, including math and science). I could call some of my old contacts and reenter the technology space, or even the equipment leasing industry, which is where a lot of my talents and interests lie, I could also just move up in the company I’m in to a research role. This would be a bigger role with a lot of new challenges. It’s all up to me. I’m not stuck here. I’m taking the great benefits, salary and flexibility and fitting it into my life as a nice low maintenance complement to an otherwise full life.

In other news, I’m really needing maternity clothes. I’ve already bought quite a few things, but it’s amazing how often I’m repeating things. I guess I will buy a few things each month as the seasons change. We live in a warmer climate with brutal summers, so there is no sense in buying a ton of things now, because even a ¾ sleeve will be out of the question once May hits and it’s 90 degrees. One thing I’m struggling with is my (TMI alert) nipples! I cannot keep these babies contained. When wearing a light colored shirt I have the appearance of someone who is very, very cold. I have certainly experienced some changes in that area, and my husband remarks almost daily on the size of my nipples (in a sweet and appreciative way, he loves boobs). I just thought these maternity bras I bought would be more adept at controlling this look. I hate to buy more bras, but there is no way I’m going to survive a July in this heat (often 105 degrees every day) without being able to wear a light colored shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment