About Me

My photo
I am a 30-something FORMER DINK (Double Income, No Kids) who welcomed our first child on August 1st, 2011 following many years of infertility. I am married to a wonderful (though somewhat work-a-holic) husband and daddy. This is my journal to help me stay sane through the trials of infertility, pregnancy and motherhood. We have unexplained infertility. After enduring IVF #1 failure, we miraculously became pregnant from FET #1, and we were overjoyed to welcome our little one August 1st of 2011.

Friday, July 23, 2010

I have a pretty robust understanding of the reproductive system, from menstrual cycles, to reproductive illnesses and challenges, as well as diagnostic testing and treatments that may be used. Some of this is through my own experience and some comes from the research I do to quell my insatiable appetite for more information about my illness and what I might do to overcome it. Yet, surprisingly, I really didn’t give much thought to antral follicle counts. In fact, I have no idea if a doctor has ever done a count on me, nor do I know what the outcome was if in fact it was done. This is shocking to me. It is being touted as a very good indicator of ovarian reserve, which is probably my biggest fear about my infertility since I have a borderline high FSH level and didn’t respond as well as I would have liked to my last injectible + IUI cycle. I am hopeful that since I am at the beginning of my IVF cycle, the very next time it is appropriate, the doctor will check this and give me the information so I can obsess over it.

See the below chart, I love charts like this where it is clear by looking at a number, what the effect of the information is.




It’s highly possible that I’m the last person in the infertility community to know about this, (as was the case when I found out that an avocado doesn’t go brown as quickly if you leave the pit in it, I loved this tip, but I was the only one on the planet who wasn’t already aware of it.) Just in case any of you were also left in the dark, now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment