About Me

My photo
I am a 30-something FORMER DINK (Double Income, No Kids) who welcomed our first child on August 1st, 2011 following many years of infertility. I am married to a wonderful (though somewhat work-a-holic) husband and daddy. This is my journal to help me stay sane through the trials of infertility, pregnancy and motherhood. We have unexplained infertility. After enduring IVF #1 failure, we miraculously became pregnant from FET #1, and we were overjoyed to welcome our little one August 1st of 2011.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I'm my own worst organization enemy

I am trying to find the best way to organize and schedule my fall semester.  I love both organizing and scheduling, but I suck at actually following through with the scheduled activities.

I love shopping and buying new planners.  I actually really love the planner I am using now, but that has not helped me all that much for my assignments for school.  I cannot do an online or electronic solution because although I absolutely see the value in electronic options, they aren't for me.  I need something I can write on, make notes on, cross off items, etc.  I could possibly do a hybrid electronic/paper solution where I could print out my master schedule/planner on a daily or as needed basis to carry around, but (and I know this sounds silly), I don't like the way printouts feel, I don't like the way they float around at the bottom of your bag, get wrinkled, don't have a firm backing on them, and I'm not a big fan of 3 hole punch solutions that would allow me to print and add whatever and whenever I want.  See my dilemma?  I'm an ADD + OCD disaster.

I don't tend to miss assignments/deadlines, but I do tend to procrastinate when I am overwhelmed by a task, and I'm totally scrambling, grumpy, and make careless mistakes at the eleventh hour as I'm racing to complete it. I can tell myself a million times that breaking a project into smaller pieces can make it more manageable, but somehow, I cannot seem to get past the fact that the project is big and I'm overwhelmed by it.

My nutrition teacher this past semester had a great system where everything was always due on Monday at 11:55pm.  Each week she would post the assignments/quizzes/tests/ etc that were coming up and we had 6 days to complete them.  This was awesome because usually these weekly assignments were manageable.  Of course, I completed almost all of them on the Monday evening they were due, BUT since she broke it down into weekly assignments she saved me from my own tendencies to procrastinate because if everything was due at the end, we all know what I would have been doing...

I need to somehow replicate her system, but it will still require a great deal of self control because I am a master manipulator of my own time.  When the teacher puts it in place, you know you can't mess with it, when I put my own deadlines in place, I can convince myself that almost anything is more important than doing that assignment.  Scrubbing the floor, doing laundry, reading a blog, etc.

I don't think I have any commenters out there after being gone so long, but if anyone has a good system, I'd love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment