About Me

My photo
I am a 30-something FORMER DINK (Double Income, No Kids) who welcomed our first child on August 1st, 2011 following many years of infertility. I am married to a wonderful (though somewhat work-a-holic) husband and daddy. This is my journal to help me stay sane through the trials of infertility, pregnancy and motherhood. We have unexplained infertility. After enduring IVF #1 failure, we miraculously became pregnant from FET #1, and we were overjoyed to welcome our little one August 1st of 2011.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Tragedy

I’m having a very blah day today. I found out a couple of days ago that a guy I dated in high school died of cancer. I had heard that he was sick 12 years ago, but he beat it and he had been given a clean bill of health. Then 4 months ago they found out his cancer had returned and now in a blink of an eye he’s gone. He leaves behind his wife of 2 years and their unborn son (this rips my heart) along with tons of other family and friends. He was a pediatric endocrinologist and just an all around great guy. My relationship with him was really insignificant, it was short, very young, summer, high school innocence. It was defined by lots of movies, miniature golf and hanging out with friends. Beyond the summer romance, though, I grew up with him and his sister. His father was the principal of my grade school and his family was just a big part of my childhood. I just cannot stop wondering why these things happen to people who have so much to offer and live such wonderful lives. His obituary was in the paper today, so it made it that much more real. It is a true tragedy.

In addition to this news, I have given up caffeine for good today, so I’m kind of just meandering through my day. I have a bit of a headache, it could be from the lack of caffeine, the addition of the Lupron or just from my heavy heart from the news that I’m still digesting.

On a much lighter note, I did discover last night that ice truly does numb the skin nicely for an injection. Again, I have to reiterate that these Lupron shots are not so painful that I need to numb the skin. I’m actually doing a bit of experimentation to find out the least painful way to administer an injection so when it’s time for the big butt shots, we can utilize these methods and hopefully reduce the stress and pain there.

No comments:

Post a Comment